As much as we all want to curl up inside …. or head to the Caribbean 😉 … during these cold winter months, now is the time to be vigilant with your home maintenance routine. You can head off many issues by staying on top of things during the winter. A major issue to be concerned with is damage caused by water and dampness. This can happen in many ways, such as, groundwater seeping into the home and bursting pipes.
Some general things that we should all be doing during this winter season are:
- Check air ducts
- Check for excessive snow on roof
- Clean furnace filter and heat recovery ventilator (HRV)
- Clean humidifier
- Check and reset ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- Check furnace fan belt
- Check water heater
- Check exhaust fans
- Remove snow and ice from roof overhang/vents
Your home is one of the biggest investments that you have. Spending a few minutes doing some maintenance can help keep it at its best and protect that investment!