Depersonalizing is an important step when it comes to selling your home. It means that you need to let go emotionally and this can be a tough process. Now that you have made the decision to move, you need to commit to that and remove your identity from the house. Focus on turning your home into a “model home”. Disconnecting yourself from your house will allow the buyer to emotionally connect and envision themselves living there, not feeling that they are a guest in your home.
Things to think about:
- Remove all personal and family photos
- Remove all memorabilia
- Pre-pack books and music that do not appeal to a wide range of buyers
- Pre-pack your collections
- Do you have belongings that could be potentially disagreeable to buyers?
- Remove and pre-pack any items that could be potentially offensive or disagreeable
- Store away and organize children’s toys, games and books