The settlement of the entire district commenced with the construction of the Colonization Road from Bobcaygeon to the north, and so early as 1859 there were a number of settlers in the Township of Minden, and the nucleus of a village had been formed at the point where the Bobcaygeon Road crossed the Gull River.
The oldest village in the County of Haliburton is Minden, which was laid out by the Government at the point where the colonization road crosses Gull River by a bridge. Minden was originally settled in 1859 via the Bobcaygeon Road, an original colonization road, because of its timber resources. The town itself lies on the banks of the Gull River and during the 19th and 20th centuries, loggers used this river to move timber to sawmills downstream.
The Village of Haliburton dates back to the year 1864, when an English joint stock company, formed for emigration and speculative purposes. Haliburton County and the village of Haliburton are named after Thomas Chandler Haliburton, author, statesman, and the first chairman of the Canadian Land and Emigration Company.
Haliburton County is dubbed the “Haliburton Highlands”. This is in part attributed to its similarity to the Scottish Highlands, and the Scottish ancestry of the founding population. The Haliburton Highlands region is also one of the higher points on the Canadian Shield, ranging from 1,066 feet (325 m) at the Haliburton/Stanhope Municipal Airport to 1,450 feet (440 m) above sea level at Sir Sam’s Ski Resort in Eagle Lake
Since the 1940s, the area has become an increasingly popular summer destination given its close proximity to larger cities in southern Ontario.